Thursday, February 21, 2008

so much for promises

Well, I promised I'd blog more and didn't.  That's what Mary Poppins calls a "pie crust" promise.
Easily made, easily broken.

Lots has happend since my trip around asia deploying a system for Mercury Professional Services.  I completed the deployment in under a quarter and had most of the reporting structures established and data entered.  The only problems other than normal organisation change, was that people simply would follow the rule of data entry into the system so the reporting wasnt as good as it could have been.  The system (QuickArrow) simply wasnt designed to stop people from entering their own unique job codes.

Then in Feb 1 2007, Mercury was acquired by Hewlett Packard.  I was moved into a role called HP Software Education Manager for Asia Pacific and Japan.  There was far too much for one person to do.

 It seems that no matter how I explained the situation I simply was not able to get the neccessary resources required to adequately service this region.  I built the partner network, the business, and the service levels in order to deliver training services.  But, this was not enough.  I was managing all logistics, orders, sales, administration, operations, and delivery across and enormous region with complex business issues and no support.  A new global director was appointed, he seemed to understand and was willing to make changes, but there were others in the organisation that thought “I was not strategic enough”. 


It is difficult to understand how being strategic  would have helped me solve what were in my opinion clearly tactical issues.  No matter how much strategy I might have liked to put in place the fact that there was no operational or tactical resource behind it makes the whole strategy a little redundant.  After much discussion and thinking through of my own, I’ve managed to work out a severance package.  As of Sept 28 my employment with HP will be terminated. 


Its a shame, they dont know what they are missing in a person like myself.  Just check my recommendations in linkedin.com.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home